Onam is the grant feastival of Kerala.Every year Onam is celebrated in the first month of Chingam,(in Malayalam calender),Thiruvonam nakshatram.Its the harvest festival of Kerala showing the homecoming of ancient King Mahabali(Maveli).Its a traditional festival rich in culture and heritage.People welcome Mahabali with floral arrangements infront of their house and make grant feast called Onam Sadhya meaning banquet.Its a Hindu festival but now a days its celebrating all over Kerala inspite of any caste or religion.Also there are some variations in Sadhya curry recipes in Kerala from North to South.Onam Sadhya is mainly pure vegetarian meal but in Northern Kerala Non veg curries are also preparing for Onam Sadhya.Its served in long banana leaves and have certain criterias and orders for serving the curry in the banana leaf for Onam Sadhya.So lets see the preparation methods of each curries in the grant meal.
Like all buffets or parties,here also we have apetizers,main course and finally the dessert called Payasam.Inji curry is a good apetizer and don't finish Olan in one strech.Taste Olan in between having each curry,It differentiates the taste of each vegetarian curries.Also finally have a glass of seasoned buttermilk for better digestion.
Prepare 1.5 Kg Matta rice for 10.Here is the list of curry for sadhya.
1.Coconut oil - 3 Tsp
2.Mustard - 1 Tsp
3.Dried red chilli - 3
4.Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
5.Ginger finely chopped - 1 cup
6.Green chilli finely chopped - 1/4 cup
7.Tamarind - 1 small ball
8.Kayam - 1 small spoon
9.Jaggery - 1 small piece
10.Chilli powder - 1 Tsp
11.Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp
12.Fenugreek powder - 1/4 Tsp
- In a heavy bottom pan,seasoned items 1,2,3,4.To the same pan add chopped ginger and green chilli and fry it.
- When Ginger becomes light brown add strained Tamarind water and Add Kayam,jaggery,chilli and turmeric powder and allow to boil.
- When it becomes thick,swich off the flame and add fenugreek powder,and mix.
1.splited Moong dal(cherupayar parippe)- 1 cup
2.salt & water - as needed
dried red chilli - 1
3.Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
cumin - 1/4 Tsp
4.Coconut oil - 1 Tb sp
5.Mustard seeds - 1 Tsp
6.Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
7.Ghee - as needed
- In a heavy bottom pan,dry roast dal and them wash and clean it.In a pressure cooker,add these cleaned dal and items #2 in the list and cook for 2 -3 whistle.
- Meanwhile Grind coconut with cumin and make a thick paste.Add this coconut paste to the cooked dal and bring to boil.
- Switch off the flame add the seasonings.
- Serve with ghee.
- In some area,people also add tomato along with dal for a better taste and colour.
Tomato - 2
8.Kayam - 1/4 Tsp
9.Fenugreek powder - 1/4 Tsp
10.Mustard - 1 tsp
Dried red chilli - 5
11.Cilantro - 2 sprigs
12.Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- In a heavy bottom pan,boil enough water and add cleaned dal.
- When dal starts cooking add cubed potato and onion and cook together.
- In another pan,add coconut oil,then add ladies finger,tomato slices and drum stick,shallow fry and add all masala powders and add this mix to the dal mixture.
- Add strained tamarind juice,salt,water and hing to the whole mixture and allow to boil.
- When the gravy becomes thick,switch off the flame and keep aside the pan and add fenugreek powder.
- Add the tempering(seasoned in coconut oil) to the sambar. You also add sliced shallots in tempering mix for extra flavor.
- Add cilantro, curry leaves and remaining coconut oil and mix everything.
- Serve with rice or even with idli or dosa.
1. Curd - 2 cup
2. Elephant yam chopped - 1/4 cup
Green plantain - 1/4 cup
Curry leaves - 4 sprigs
Green chilli - splited 5-6
Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp
Chilli powder - 1/4 Tsp
Pepper powder - 1/4 Tsp
Salt & water - as needed
3.Grated coconut - 1 half coconut
4.cumin - 1/4 Tsp
5.Mustard - 1/2 Tsp
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
6.Fenugreek powder - 1 pinch
- In a pressure cooker,cook the ingredients listed as #2 together.
- After cooking,if water is excess ,cook without lid and makes it dry.
- Add beaten curd to this mixture and stir continuiously to avoid spliting of curd.
- When it becomes thick,add coconut cumin paste to the curd mix and cook in low flame by continuous stirring.
- When it started boiling,add the seasonings and swich off the flame
- When it becomes cool,add dried fenugreek powder.
- If the curd is too sour,add 1 Tsp sugar.
Main curry for any sadhya.You can see the recipe and ingredient list in the below link
12.Okra(Ladies finger) kichadi
Click this link for detailed recipe
13. Apple pachadi (Fruit Pachadi)
Click the link for more detailed recipe;http://kottayamkitchen.blogspot.com/2015/02/apple-pachadi-recipe.html
Click the link for more detailed recipe
15. Cucumber(Vellarika Pachadi)
click the link for more detailed recipe
16.Pumpkin(Mathanga) Erissery for sadhya
Click the link for detailed recipe
Click the link for more detaile recipe
Click the link for more deatiled and easy method for pulissery