- Lemon – 10 (Wash and pat dry)
- Ginger - 1 medium piece
- Garlic – 5-6 ,medium
- Kashmiri Chilly powder – 1.5 – 2 tbsp
- Fenugreek powder – 1 pinch
- Asafoetida/hing – 1 pinch
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig (optional)
- Gingelly/sesame oil/Nallenna – 2 – 3 tbsp
- Con.Lemon juice - 1/2 cup
- Salt – To taste
- Store this lemon pickle in refrigerator if you are planning to keep it for long and always use a clean, dry spoon while serving.
- I have used the juice extracted while cutting the lemon itself.otherwise add vinegar.
- Instead of steaming lemon,you can simply shallow fry it in gingely oil.(vattuka).
- I have taken the pickle image after 2 weeks.slowly by around 1 month,you can see the lemon skin,zest becomes brown.
- If you don't have gingely oil,simply use your normal vegetable oil.It works fine for me.
- Some times after preparing this pickle it becomes bitter,due to the over steaming for lemon.
- I got small lemons from Mexican store.You can either use this small one or big yellow or green lemons.Make sure to cut into small pieces.
- You can use crushed mustard seeds for pickling or use seeds as such.
- add more chilly powder if you wish.