Ada Pradhaman recipe#Kerala payasam recipes#Onam payasam recipes
Ada Pradhaman is an unavoidable dessert for Sadhya in Kerala.We used to prepare this delicious thick coconut milk and jaggerry dessert for Onam or Vishu sadhya or any other major celebrations at home.Tricky thing is we have to make the ada previously or we can use store bought adas available in different sizes.Usually for Ada pradhaman big - medium sized rice flakes are using.I tried to make ada once using Banana leaf as instructed by my friend and it came out good..ada was too soft in that case.This time i used store brought ada for my husband as he was asking for Ada pradhaman for a while after tasting this dessert from a restaurant here in Dallas.I used to make payasam's(malayalam word for dessert) for all occasions in family like birthdays and anniversaries.
Some people still have the confusions..Here is the answer!!Ada pradhaman is preparing with coconut milk and Pal ada is preparing with normal cow's milk.
1.Ada (big - medium sized as available) - 1/2 cup
2.Jaggery - 1 Large ball
3.Coconut - 1
4.Cashews - 1/2 cup
5.Coconut flakes - 1/4 cup
7.Cumin +Dried ginger(chukke)+cardamom powder - 1.5 Tsp
- Boil 2 cups of water in a saucepan and add Ada into it.Stir it.Cover and cook this ada in boiled water for 5 minutes or until the ada becomes soft.
- Transfer it into ice cold water for few minutes and strain those cooked ada.
- Melt jaggery in a pan and when it completely melts,strain the jaggery sauce.Again add this strained sauce to a big vessel(uruli).
- Add that cooked ada into jaggery sauce.Then add 3rd coconut milk to the mixture.
- When it starts boiling,add all dry powders with 2nd coconut milk When it boils and thickens,remove from fire and add 1st coconut milk.Stir well and add fried cashews and coconut flakes.Add 1 Tsp ghee for added flavor.
- Make coconut milk(1st,2nd and 3rd) by adding water and grind the shredded coconut in a mixxie.1st milk is thicked one with little water.2nd milk is in medium consistency and 3rd milk is the most diluted form of coconut milk.You can also prepare this milk using coconut powder.
- Fry cashews and coconut flakes in ghee for added flavor.
- Cook ada separetely and immediately transfer it to ice cold water,otherwise ada gets sticked together and forms a lump.
Serve warm for your loved ones or serve cold for those who love cold desserts.
Have a good day.