Sambar for Onam sadhya
Cuisine : South India,Kerala
Serves : 10 for sadhya
Sambar is the most inevitable dish for Kerala or South Indian sadhya(great meals).Its a part of Malayalis Onam sadhya or daily food menus either with rice or as break fast side dish for Dosa or Idli.In recent days i have seen articles mentioning about the anti cancer properties of Sambar typically turmeric used in the recipe and is referred as a complete food.Anyway lets talk about the ingredients and method of preparation.
This recipe was in my draft folder for a while and now Onam is around the corner,I thought to share it. Also there are lots of variations for Sambar recipe and basically i followed the pressure cooker method.But here i have mentioned the traditional recipe of Kerala.
Toor Dal - 1 cup
potato - 1
Onion - half
Coconut oil - 50 ml
Ladies finger - 100 gm
Drum stick - 50 gm
Turmeric powder - 1/2 Tsp
Chilli powder - 1/2 Tsp
Coriander powder - 1 Tsp
Tamarind - 1 gooseberry size ball
Salt & water - enough
Hing - 1/4 Tsp
Fenugreek powder - 1/4 Tsp
Mustard - 1 Tsp
Dry red chilli - 5 nos
Cilantro - 10 gm
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
Tomato - 2
- In a heavy bottom pan,boil enough water and add cleaned dal.
- When dal starts cooking add cubed potato and onion and cook together.
- In another pan,add coconut oil,then add ladies finger,tomato slices and drum stick,shallow fry and add all masala powders and add this mix to the dal mixture.
- Add strained tamarind juice,salt,water and hing to the whole mixture and allow to boil.
- When the gravy becomes thick,switch off the flame and keep aside the pan and add fenugreek powder.
- Add the tempering(seasoned in coconut oil) to the sambar. You also add sliced shallots in tempering mix for extra flavor.
- Add cilantro, curry leaves and remaining coconut oil and mix everything.
- Serve with rice or even with idli or dosa.
- RECIPE COURTESY:Pazhayidam Namboothiri
- You can simply add any sambar masala for making this curry
- Also you can use pressure cooker for cooking dal and veggies..(some cases this will over cook everything and makes too thick sambar)