For any Sadhya,Aviyal is a main star and have a good role for making a Sadhya grant.Its an authentic, traditional dish of us,malayalis.I guess no other people is interested in Aviyal.If Aviyal is there,no need of other curries of a daily meal.Since it contains almost all vegetables available.Its flavour comes from coconut and coconut oil.No need to taste this to check if it is perfect,It comes from the flavour .....like one of our masala ads...
Ingredients needed for Aviyal(8-10 adults)
- Elephant Yam(Chena) - 1 cup
- Cucumber(Vellarika) - 1 cup
- Snake Gourd (Padavalanga) - 1 cup
- Green Plantain(Pacha kaya) - 1 cup
- Drum stick(Muringaka) - 1/2 cup
- Carrot (optional) -1/2 cup
- Curry leaves - your wish
- Cumin + Coconut grinded - 2 cup
- Coconut oil - 4 Tb sp
- Green Mango - 1/4 cup
- Green chillies - 3-4
- Salt - to taste
- In a big vessel,pan or uruli,add 2 Tb sp coconut oil and add all the cut vegetables in the list with enough salt.Close it with a tight lid and cook for 30 minutes.
- When the vegetables cooks,add green chillies and mango.Cook this for another 10 minutes.
- After that add Cumin + Coconut(grinded) to the cooked vegetables.Cook for another 5 minutes
- Then add 2 Tb sp Coconut oil and enough curry leaves.Mix it well and serve.
- Don't add water while cooking vegetables.
- Also if you need more sour taste,add 1/2 cup tamarind juice.
- You can pressure cook the vegetables for 1 whistle and add the remaining things.
- Normally we are not seasoning Aviyal.But if you like seasoning with small onion(shallots) and mustard,you are free to add.
- The photo is my mother in laws version and she adds lots of tamarind juice for extra sour ness and it turns into that colour.
- Mine is simple and i have added the seasoning which i liked the most.