Red velvet cupcakes or cakes are unique and is in cake world for Valentines day and for Christmas too.And for us Malayalis its in the bakery after our trend setter film Pramam in which actor n actress having a slice of Red velvet cake in the corner of a bakery and it becomes a trend in all love birds....Does any one think we are having lots of red color in those cake...Off course i'm in that list and i have been searching for a perfect natural red velvet cupcakes using Beet root puree..Please don't use the juice it won't give you the colour after baking.This was my Valentine dish for my Valentines (my sweet hubby and our cutie son).This is an eggless version and is a big hit in our house.You can either give the topping with whipping cream and sprinkles or simply have it...
Prep Time: 15 min
Baking Time :20- 25 min
Yields: 12 cupcakes
Recipe Courtesy:Yummy Tummy
- All purpose flour - 1.5 cups
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Cocoa powder - 1 Tb sp
- Baking powder - 1.5 Tsp
- Salt - 1/4 TSp
- Beetroot puree - 3/4 cup
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Vinegar - 1 Tb sp
- Oil - 1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence - 1 Tsp
- Whipped cream - as needed
- Sprinkles - for topping
- Clean and peel 1 small beetroot and chop that into thin pieces in a chopper or slicer.Pressure cook it with lit water for 1 whistle or simply cook it in a pan.
- Keep a side and cool it and make puree in a blender.
- Seive all purpose flour with baking powder,cocoa powder and salt to a medium sized bowl.
- When the beetroot puree was cooled add vinegar,milk,oil and vanilla essence to the puree.Mix gently and a make smooth batter.
- Add dry powders part by part(add using a spoon) to the wet mixture and mix gently and forms a good cake batter.
- Pre heat oven to 325 deg F
- Arrange Muffin pan and cup cake liners.Scoop out cake batter using an ice cream scoop into each cup cake liners arranged.
- Fill 3/4 of the liner and bake for 20 - 25 min in preheated oven
- Pipe out whipping cream and make a rosette or your favourite cup cake design and enjoy