Author: Riya Tiju
Cuisine : Kerala
Prep Time : 10 min
Cook time : 45 min
Serves : 4-6
- Chicken pieces - 1/2 kg
- Onion - 1 big,finely chopped
- Tomato - 1,make puree
- Ginger - 1 small piece,chopped finely
- Garlic - 2 big, or 4 small, chopped finely
- Curry leaves - 3 sprigs
- Chicken masala - 2 Tsp
- Chilli powder - 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Pepper powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 Tsp
- Oil - for frying
- Salt - to taste
- Marinate cleaned chicken pieces with 1/4 Tsp turmeric powder,1 Tsp Chicken masala and 1/2 Tsp Chilli powder and salt to taste.Keep aside for 10 minutes and shallow fry both sides in oil.(3-5 minutes on each side in medium heat oil)
- Mean while chop onion,ginger and garlic and make tomato puree.
- No need of extra chillies..(purely optional)
- After shallow frying chicken, Keep fried chicken aside.saute chopped onion,ginger and garlic in the same oil.Add extra oil if needed.Add lit salt.Saute lots of curry leaves..This is the traditional Kerala taste maker.No need of other leaves.
- When onion becomes brown and soft,add tomato puree and cook it by gently sauting in medium flame.
- When everything gets cooked and soft,reduce the flame and add 1 Tsp Chicken masala,1/2 Tsp Chilli powder,1 Tsp coriander powder and 1/4 Tsp pepper powder(pepper is optional).saute it until the oil becomes clear.Actually this is the key for making a good gravy,fry the masalas in low flame .
- When everything blends,add fried chicken pieces and gently mix the masala with chicken.Add 1/4 cup water,keep the flame to medium,cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- By that time extra water oozed out from chicken and makes a good gravy..So if you need more gravy for chicken you can stop cooking after 2 minutes.or else
- Cook the chicken with out lid until the 3/4 of the water evaporates for another 10 minutes in medium flame.
- Switch off the flame and partially cover it.
- After 10 minutes,you can see the chicken roast is ready to be served with thick consistency gravy.
- This suites well with any rice like plain rice,fried rice or even with chapathi,porotta etc.