Vermicelli Upma recipe#Semiya Upma recipe#kids breakfast ideas
Vermicelli upma is a very good break fast food for toddlers and school going kids.If they like noodles and pasta, I'm sure they will definitely like this upma..I must say my 2 year boy loves this food.If i gave this for a morning he will eat by himself with a spoon.No need of help for that(what's the reason...simple he loves it).And also in between he will have few vegetables(mommy happy:-):-)
so mommies please try out this recipe for your loving kids..they will say Thank you for a wonderful day with a smiling face.
Author : Riya Tiju
Cuisine :South Indian,Break fast
Prep Time : 5 min
Cook time : 15 min
Serves : 4
- Vermicelli(semiya) - 2 cups
- Ghee - 1 Tsp
- Onion - 1/2 of 1 small onion
- Carrot -(grated) - 3 Tb sp
- Peas(frozen or cooked) - 2 Tb sp
- Coconut grated - 1/4 cup
- Green chillies - 1 chopped(only use for adults)
- Ginger finely chopped - 1/2 Tsp
- Garam masala - 1/2 Tsp(only for adults)
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - as needed
Method (For Kids)
- Fry 2 cups of Vermicelli in 1 Tsp ghee until it turns golden brown.Keep aside.
- To a heated pan,add 1 Tbsp oil and add chopped onion(half portion of 1 small onion) and saute until it becomes soft.Add finely chopped ginger.
- Add cut vegetables of your choice(grated carrot,frozen or cooked green peas).
- Add 4 cups of water to the veggies,salt to taste and heat water to boil.
- Add 1/4 cup grated coconut to the water.
- When it starts boiling,add fried vermicelli and cook for 10-15 minutes.By that time it absorbs all the water and cooks.
- Mix well and serve hot with sauce of your choice(only for adults)
- Garnish with finely cut vegetables.Make a smiley face,using carrots and peas.(Here i used cranberry and carrot)
- For adults,you can add the seasoning too,after frying vermicelli,you can prepare seasoning in cooking oil with mustard,Bengal gram dal chopped green chilies and curry leaves.
- Then add those onion and continue that same steps in kids method
- You can avoid coconut,if kids don't like it.
- For big kids,you can add fried cashews,almonds and raisins(ghee) or simply add those while cooking.
- Also you can add vegetables of your kids choice.Here i didn't add peas,since my kid don't like it.
Instead of giving all extra flavors and MSG in noodles(even though maggi came back)You will satisfied with this healthy food.
Let me hope your kid also like this food like me