Vermicelli upma is a very good break fast food for toddlers and school going kids.If they like noodles and pasta, I'm sure they will definitely like this upma..I must say my 2 year boy loves this food.If i gave this for a morning he will eat by himself with a spoon.No need of help for that(what's the reason...simple he loves it).And also in between he will have few vegetables(mommy happy:-):-)
so mommies please try out this recipe for your loving kids..they will say Thank you for a wonderful day with a smiling face.
Author : Riya Tiju
Cuisine :South Indian,Break fast
Prep Time : 5 min
Cook time : 15 min
Serves : 4
- Vermicelli(semiya) - 2 cups
- Ghee - 1 Tsp
- Onion - 1/2 of 1 small onion
- Carrot -(grated) - 3 Tb sp
- Peas(frozen or cooked) - 2 Tb sp
- Coconut grated - 1/4 cup
- Green chillies - 1 chopped(only use for adults)
- Ginger finely chopped - 1/2 Tsp
- Garam masala - 1/2 Tsp(only for adults)
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - as needed
Method (For Kids)
- Fry 2 cups of Vermicelli in 1 Tsp ghee until it turns golden brown.Keep aside.
- To a heated pan,add 1 Tbsp oil and add chopped onion(half portion of 1 small onion) and saute until it becomes soft.Add finely chopped ginger.
- Add cut vegetables of your choice(grated carrot,frozen or cooked green peas).
- Add 4 cups of water to the veggies,salt to taste and heat water to boil.
- Add 1/4 cup grated coconut to the water.
- When it starts boiling,add fried vermicelli and cook for 10-15 minutes.By that time it absorbs all the water and cooks.
- Mix well and serve hot with sauce of your choice(only for adults)
- Garnish with finely cut vegetables.Make a smiley face,using carrots and peas.(Here i used cranberry and carrot)
- For adults,you can add the seasoning too,after frying vermicelli,you can prepare seasoning in cooking oil with mustard,Bengal gram dal chopped green chilies and curry leaves.
- Then add those onion and continue that same steps in kids method
- You can avoid coconut,if kids don't like it.
- For big kids,you can add fried cashews,almonds and raisins(ghee) or simply add those while cooking.
- Also you can add vegetables of your kids choice.Here i didn't add peas,since my kid don't like it.