This is one of my favorite dry prawns recipe and its my maternal Grandma's secret recipe..I loved this curry prepared by our dear ammachi.Its really simple with 3 main ingredients,dry prawns,raw mango and shredded coconut. I used to prepare this when there is no fish or meat dishes for lunch.I have used frozen raw mango,fresh ones gives more taste.This is an authentic Kerala dish with the flavors of fresh raw mango and coconut.
1.Dry prawns - 1 handful
2.Fresh Raw mango - 1 or frozen mango pieces - 2 cups
3.Grated coconut - 1 cup
4.Shallots - 3 to 5 nos.
5.Green chillies or Kanthari?(bullet pepper) - 3 to 5
6.Ginger - 1 small piece
7.Garlic - 1 small
8.Turmeric powder - 1/2 Tsp
9.Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
10.Mustard - 1 Tsp
11.Coconut Oil - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp for final sprinkle
12.Salt - to taste
- Wash and pat dry prawns(dry) and keep aside.Avoid head and small pieces.
- To a hot pan,add oil and splutter mustard,then add chopped shallots and saute it.
- Add kanthari or green chillies(slited) and chopped ginger and garlic.
- When it cooks,add cubed mango pieces,cleaned prawns and shredded coconut mix(before that, just grind those grated coconut once in chutney jar)
- Add 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder,curry leaves and 1/2 cup water.
- Add salt to taste,cover and cook until the water evaporates completely.
- Sprinkle 1 Tb sp coconut oil in the top before serving.
- Serve with plain steamed rice or kuthari(matta rice) and moru kachiyathe.
Use good raw mango with more sourness.