Happy 2016 to all viewers,
A brand new year begins with good thoughts and nice expectations....Let's start with a cake recipe. Blueberry and ginger combination along with whole wheat.Now a days i'm using more whole wheat than all purpose flour only because of health issues..Try this recipe for kids and adults as well as a tea time snack or for break fast needs.Its super easy and can baked perfectly.
Also blue berry is rich in anti oxidants and multi grain flour has high health benefits than normal flour.
- Frozen blueberries - 2 cups
- Sugar - 2 Tb sp
- White vinegar or any berry vinegar - 2 Tb sp
- Sour cream or plain yogurt/curd - 1/2 cup
- Multi grain flour - 1.5 cups
- Brown sugar - 1/2 cup
- Baking soda - 1 Tsp
- Powdered ginger - 1 Tsp
- Salt - 1/4 Tsp
- Cinnamon powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Eggs - 2 (slightly beaten)
- Maple syrup or molasses - 2 Tb sp
- Butter ( 1 stick,melted) or veg oil - 1 cup
- In a small bowl,toss the berries with sugar and vinegar.Let it stand for 1 hour so they get juicy.
- Pre heat oven to 325 deg F.
- Grease and flour your baking dish(9" round dish or loaf pan) and set aside.
- In a medium bowl,combine flour,brown sugar,baking soda,ginger,cinnamon and salt.Mix well and set aside.
- Take a large bowl,stir the eggs,maple syrup and melted butter or veg oil using a whisk.Add sour cream and whisk again.
- Drain the berries and add the remaining vinegar to the liquid mixture.Add berries to the flour mix and coat well.
- Add 1/2 cup of dry flour mix to the wet ingredients and fold well using a spatula.
- Do the same for all the remaining flour.(dry mix) and make a smooth batter.
- Spread the batter to the greased cake pan.
- Bake at 350 deg F for 40 minutes.
- Cool the cake on a rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar and top with whipped cream if desired.
- You can also use fresh blue berries and fresh grated ginger.
- Also either whole wheat or whole purpose flour or multi grain flour
- Do check the cake with a tooth pick after 30 minutes since temp varies in each oven.
- If the cake batter is not loose enough,add 2 Tsp of milk or any juice
Happy New Year buddies
Kottayam Kitchen Team