Chettinad style Egg/Mutta curry recipe
Chettinad recipes are hot spicy recipes,most popular in Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu,India.Once in a while its good to change our usual taste and flavor and try new dishes.So this time i have tried Chettinad egg curry with Idiappam for break fast.My husband likes the gravy and he was happy with a new taste and my kidu his eyes were on the hard boiled eggs,he loves it.( not the spicy one,just plain hard boiled eggs).Try this variety for your next break fast.I'm sure your family will thank you for this new taste.
- Eggs - 5(hard boiled and make slits)
- Oil - 2 Tb sp
- Mustard - 1/2 Tsp
- Onion - 1 large,chopped
- Green chilly - 1 chopped
- Curry leaves - a few
- Turmeric - 1/2 Tsp
- Tomato - 1 (cubed) or paste
- Masala powder - 1.5- 2 Tb sp(recipe below)
- Salt - to taste
- Cilantro - chopped a few
How to make Chettinad masala powder(Roast and grind method)
- Oil - 1/2 Tsp
- Whole Coriander seeds - 1.5 Tsp
- Dried red chilli - 2 (add according to your hot tolerance)
- Fennel - 1/4 Tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 Tsp
- Cardamom - 2 pods
- Cloves - 3
- Cinnamon - 1/4 inch stick
- Whole pepper corns - 1/4 Tsp
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 Tbsp(also you dried or frozen ones)
Heat oil in a pan and add all the ingredients in the list except coconut.Saute gently and heat in medium flame for 3 minutes.Allow to cool and grind it in a mixie as fine powder.Add fresh coconut and make a good paste of masala.(You can also roast and grind coconut,but i didn't do for a fresh flavor.
If you need,brown gravy,roast the coconut.
If you need,yellowish gravy,add fresh grated coconut.
Method for making gravy
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds,when it splutters,add dried red chilli and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion with lit salt and saute gently until translucent.
- Add tomato paste or pieces and cooks nicely.
- Add turmeric and special chettinad masala 1.5- 2 Tb sp
- Add 1/2 cup water and salt to taste and boil the gravy.
- When it starts boiling,add hard boiled eggs,cook for another 5 minutes with lid.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with Idiappam or Palappam or Chapathi.
Masala - gravy blend