Chettinad fish curry recipe # Fish Curry recipes#Chettinad recipes
Have you bored with usual fish curry prepared in your home....ohh yeahhh!!! Then go for this spicy curry.I'm sure your family will thank you for this delicious super tasty curry.For this i didn't add any fish masala and the main high light is that authentic aromatic Chettinad cuisine.Chettinadu is a place in Tamil Nadu,where Chettiars ,a special category of people in Tamil Nadu lives.They uses this most hot and spicy flavors for making curries.I like Chettinad flavor and started googling this spl cuisine.So you can expect this Chettinad spls for a while.
Yes,you will think this is similar to our own Coconut grinded curry.Off course but slight difference is there.There is no addition of fenugreek seeds and ginger in Chettinad.Instead Cilantro is adding to this curry...In Kerala Fish curry no addition of cilantro and without ginger and fenu greek we don't have a recipe..That's the difference i think..
Ok.I'm stopping and here is the recipe.
1.Fish - 1/2 Kg(I used Red Tilapia)
2.Oil - 1 Tbsp
3.Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
4.Onion - 1 small
5.Tomato - 1 large cut into long slices
6.Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
7.Coriander Leaves/Cilantro - 2 Tbsp finely chopped
8.Tamarind Pulp - 3 Tb sp
For masala paste:
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Fennel Seeds - 1 Tbsp
- Onions - 1 large sliced
- Garlic - 1
- Tomato - 1 large
- Chilli Powder - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - 1/2 Tsp
- Coconut - 1/2 cup grated
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add and saute fennel seeds for a min.
- Add chopped onion and saute it with lit salt.When it becomes translucent add chopped garlic and Tomato.
- When everything mashed nicely,reduce the flame and add chilli,coriander and turmeric powders and saute it lightly until the raw masala smell goes.
- Then add grated coconut and saute nicely and blend all together.Allow this to cool for a while and grind it with lit water to form a smooth masala paste.
- Mean time,Heat oil in another pan,splutter mustard,add chopped onion and saute finely until it becomes translucent.Then add curry leaves and above prepared masala paste.
- Add Tamarind pulp and 1 cup water, allow this gravy to boil.When it starts boiling,add cleaned fish pieces to this gravy.Add required salt to taste and cook this fish curry for 10 minutes.(first 5 min in high flame and then 5 min in medium flame)
- After 10 minutes add sliced tomato pieces to the gravy and cook for another 5 minutes.
- By this time,oil will appear in the top.Cook without lid for 1 minute and switch off the flame.Shake the pan in a clock wise manner.Check the salt and sour level and add if needed.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with Rice.
- Use Earthen vessel for good taste and flavor..I have used a copper bottom pan since have earthen vessel.
- For making Tamarind pulp.(Dissolve 1 lemon sized tamarind in luke warm water for 10 minutes. Seive and extract the pulp)
- Best combo for white rice or ghee rice.