Cheera Erissery recipe#Kerala Erissery recipe
Erissery is a typical Kerala dish made with Dal and any kind of vegetables in coconut paste and seasoned with mustard and coconut oil. Erissery is the main item of Kerala sadhya.Usually for sadhya Pumpkin-red kidney beans erissery or Elephant yam - moong dal erissery are using.But today i'm giving you the recipe of Spinach -Dal erissery.You can use any kind of green leaves like Muringa leaves or Palak leaves for making this curry.I have also used Toor dal and coconut paste for this curry.So if you don't have pumpkin or elephant yam in your kitchen or garden,you can easily prepare this with muringa leaves which will be available at all Kerala homes at any time.I have taken this recipe from Vanitha magazine and the preparation method is similar to pumpkin erisseri.
- Palak leaves or Muringa leaves chopped- 3 cups
- Toor Dal -1/4 cup
- Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Jeera - 1/2 Tsp
- Garlic - 2 small pods
- Chilli powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Coconut oil - 2 Tb sp
- Mustard - 1/2 Tsp
- Shallots - 3 to 4
- Dry Red Chilli - 3
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Grated Coocnut - 1/4 cup
- Cook Toor Dal in pressure cooker with lit water, salt n turmeric.
- Clean and chop green leaves.
- Grind and make a paste of ingredients 3 to 7 in list.
- To the cooked dal,add this coconut paste and allow to boil.
- When it starts boiling,add chopped spinach leaves and cook for 5 minutes.(there should be enough water or else add 1/4 cup
- Mean while,prepare the seasoning mix and add to the curry.
- Add fried coconut too.
- Serve with matta rice.
Try this erissery recipe once,you will love it.Its a rich source of protein.