Crab Roast in Kerala style
Crab is a sea food item which we are using in our coastal Kerala.Here in US also crab varieties are available in seafood shops.Crab roast is a tasty dish which we can make easily at home.Only thing is we need to clean and cut crab nicely.We can use the shell of crab for decoration after drying it in sunlight.
Things you need
- Crab - 4 nos.(medium sized)
- Onion - 1 big
- Tomato - 1 big
- Green chilli - 2
- Chilli powder - 1 Tb sp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Fish masala - 1 Tsp
- Ginger - Garlic chopped or paste - 1 Tsp each
- Coconut oil - as needed(3 Tb sp)
- Mustard - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Salt - to taste
- Clean and cut crab into small pieces.(see note for ref:)
- Drain and discard the water from the crab and keep aside.
- In a pan,add coconut oil,when it gets hot add mustard seeds.When the mustard splutters,add curry leaves and chopped ginger -garlic and followed by onion (add lit bit salt).When the onion became translucent add chopped tomato pieces.
- When the tomato pieces blend nicely add green chilly,(reduce the flame to low and add all masala powders and give a nice stir and blend everything in the oil.Add 1/2 cup water and allow to boil.
- When the gravy starts to boil,add cleaned crab pieces and saute nicely.Add required salt.Cover and cook for 15 minutes.When the oil separates,cook in low flame without lid for 5 minutes.By that time our crab roast will be ready to serve.
- This suites best with rice or kappa...
- (most of the times we are getting live crabs.So first of all,for killing crab,cover and keep this directly in freezer over night or 5-6 hrs. or put it in boiling water for 20- 30 minutes)After that clean n cut crab nicely.
- If you like more hot n spicy gravy,add 2 Tb sp of chilly powder.
- If you need gravy,add thick/thin coconut milk