What you need for roasting a Turkey
- Frozen Turkey,10-12 lbs - 1
- Yogurt - 1 cup
- Lemon Juice of - 2 lemon
- Garlic paste - 2 medium sized balls
- Ginger paste - 1 large piece
- Chicken Masala - 3 Tb sp
- Chilli Powder - 2 Tb sp
- Coriander Powder - 2 Tb sp
- Cumin Powder - 2 Tb sp
- Garam Masala - 2 Tb sp
- Green Chilli Paste - 1/2 tsp
- Onions chopped - 2
- Chopped Carrots - 2 cups
- Chopped celery - 1 cup
- Potatoes - 2 cups
- Spring Onions - 1 cup
- Cilantro and mint chopped - 2 cups
- Crushed Pepper - 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Olive Oil - 1/2 cup
- Big Oval shaped Aluminium tray with handle - 1
- Aluminium foil -use as needed
- Oil brush - for applying oil(optional)
- Large oval shaped plate - 1
- Fruits,mint leaves for final garnishing(optional)
Method of Preparation
1. Prepare the turkey for roasting: Cleaning & Thawing
- Clean the turkey well or you can also get cleaned turkeys from the market.If its frozen,First of all we need to thaw turkey in hot water bath(in a big vessel or simply create a water bath in your kitchen sink) for hours in order to melt the ice(mini 3-5 hrs for thawing) and replace the water in every 30 minutes.
- Or Else you can keep the turkey in refrigerator rack itself for thawing from monday or tuesday onwards.(Since we are marinating turkey on wed eve and roasting on thursday morning or evening).Turkey will thaw in refrigerator itself within a few days or approximately 24 hours for every 5 pounds of turkey in refrigerator.
- Take out giblets(can use for other recipes) and any other packaging from inside(body cavity) the turkey.
- Place the cleaned and thawed turkey in aluminium foil and set it in the pan,breast side up.
- Tie the legs together with a thick cotton thread/twine and remove the plastic tag.
- Mix all the spices/masalas together in a bowl. Marinate the turkey well,both inside and outside and refrigerate it for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Grease the aluminium tray or roasting pan with olive oil.
- Place the turkey covered with aluminium foil(breast side up)in the middle and add all the veggies to the tray around turkey and add mint,cilantro some chopped onion,lemon juice and lit garlic paste to the inside portion of turkey.(This allows the turkey to cook evenly,instead of stuffing too much things)
- Sprinkle crushed pepper and salt on top of the veggies.
- The thumb rule for roasting time for a turkey is 13 minutes for a pound.That means if your turkey is 12 pounds,roast for almost 2.30 hours and if your turkey is 16 pounds,roast for almost 3.30 hours.
- Our turkey was 12 pounds, so first let the turkey Roast for 1 hour and then collect the water/fat oozed out from the turkey carefully (purely optional)and allow to get roast for another 1.30 hours.
- Remove aluminium foil and brush with olive oil or butter,if you add some dried herbs like Thyme,Rose mary etc and then let it cook again for 30 minutes.By that time our turkey will be golden brown in colour.
- For the last 30 minutes,check the temperature of the turkey with a food thermometer at three places :breast area,outer thigh and inside thigh.
- The cooked turkey temp should be 165 deg F and if its not,roast the turkey for another 20- 30 minutes.(But checking the temperature is purely optional).
- We didn't do that and for us When the turkey is fully cooked, the timer will pop up.. in that case,no need of temp checking.
- Carefully lift the whole roasted turkey and transfer it to a good cutting board with clean mittens.
- Cover with aluminium foil and rest it for 30 minutes.(by this time,juices will be re-absorbed,which makes the turkey taste juicier and easy to slice.)
- Collect all the juices from the tray and use it for making turkey gravy.
- Use all the roasted vegetables as side dish and use fresh fruits for garnishing.
- Carving is simply cutting the turkey the same way we do for chicken.First,cut the wings, and then thighs(thighs and drumsticks).
- Cut the breast meat portion and slice it evenly and gently.
- Serve the carved turkey in plates.
- Also if you need Turkey gravy sauce,don't discard the water oozed out from the turkey.Keep it in a pan and allow to boil.Also add 1 Tb sp of corn flour for getting a thicker gravy.
- Serve this along with turkey slice.
- For added flavor and delicious look:
- Apply olive oil or butter all over the turkey for a brownish colour and add mint leaves,lemon juice and garlic to the inside cavity for more flavor.
- Just warm up spices like paprika,pepper,ginger & garlic powder and some herbs like thyme in a pan in 1/2 cup water.Boil it and added to a big cold water bath(big vessel with cold water).Add 1 or 2 cups of salt to the water.
- Completely immerse the turkey in this water bath and fill its cavities.Tie the legs and keep this turkey in this brine water bath over night and keep this in refrigerator rack..
- Next day take out the turkey and apply few spices and olive oil and roast it.
- This was practically not possible in our house and we simply skip this step.
- You can see that pop up( timer) in pic.(red pin)
- You can add chopped veggies like onion,carrot,potato,celery,cilantro) of your choice to the pan and can have along with roasted turkey meat.
- If you like you can bake pumpkin /apple pie or you can buy those pies from store.[Usually Americans bake pies,Beans casserole and other Thanks giving traditional side dishes along with turkey in the same oven].
- You can also have turkey with bread,chapathi or fried rice in our own style.
- With this roasted turkey left overs,You can make delicious Turkey masala in the same way like we prepare chicken curry with onion,tomatoes,ginger n garlic.
- You can simply carve the turkey in the same pan itself like we did.
- First and turkey(roasted) pics are not so good,i think it was over cooked.At that time,in 2011 I even don't know cooking(just after marriage,But in next year in 2012,it was fine,but the legs are opened.:-)pheew.
- A big thanks to my loving husband,Tiju who helped me to clean, marinate and off course roasting the big turkey.He loves Turkey baking.
please let me know your comments.