Kallappam can be prepared easily at home and the batter too even the working moms.No need to buy instant palappam mix which contains lots of yeast and sugar.Also now a days Kallu(Fermented Coconut product)is not availble easily for making these appam.So most of them are using Yeast for fermenting this appam batter and preparing in non stick pan like dosa.Dont make this in Palappam pan,Just use a non stick pan and make round appams like dosa,cover and cook for 2 minutes.As the picture shows it gives brown spots in the top.
Tips for working moms to make the Kallappam or Idli batter
- Soak the rice in the morning itself and grind it at evening or night and keep this for fermentation.
- Prolonged soaking time helps to get a good consistency batter within no time.
1.Rice(Ponni rice or any white rice)/Rice powder - 3 cups
2.Grated Coconut or Thick Coconut milk - 1 cup
3.Sugar - 2 Tb sp
4.Baker's Yeast - 1/2 Tsp
5.Salt - 1 Tsp
1.Soak 3 cups of rice in water for 3-5 hours.Grind rice and coconut in small quantities in a grinder or mixxie.
2.Grind the ingredients 1,2,3 and keep the batter in a large bowl(plastic/steel).
3.Add sugar and dissolved yeast solution in luke warm water to the grinded batter or simply you can grind the yeast along with coconut.
4.Keep the batter in room temperature overnight or 8- 10 hours.
5.Fermented batter can be used for preparing palappam in palappam pan/chatti.
Another method for getting soft Kallappam
- After grinding,Combine 1 Laddle full of batter and 1 Ladder full of water in a vessel.Heat this in medium/low flame and stir continuously.Thsi mix becomes thick and soft.Switch off the flame.Allow this to cool and grind with some rice batter and mix along with appam batter and keep this for fermentation for 8 hours in warm place.
1.Either you can add yeast solution to the batter or grind 1/4 Tsp of yeast along with coconut or cooked rice and mixed with batter.
2.Yeast solution :Take a little luke warm water in a bowl and add the yeast with little sugar.Keep this for 20 minutes and add directly to the rice batter and mix.
3.Addition of sugar makes the light brown colour at the edges.
4.If we add cooked rice along with soaked rice for grinding,no need of pavu kachal( i don't know the English term for that.
5.Grind and prepare the batter in the evening and ferment it over night for next days break fast.
6.Keep the batter in oven and make it warm in in cold places.
Another method for making Kallappam
Pavu kachal method
- Take 1/2 cup of rice powder in a pan with lit water and keep it in a low flame and stir continuously until the rice powder dissolves completely.Switch off the flame and remove from flame.Allow this to cool and add remaining rice powder and mix with water.
- In the above method you can avoid cooked rice and add coconut milk instead of grinded coconut.
- Don't make the batter too watery.Add appropriately water or coconut milk.
- Addition of yeast is same in both methods.
- You can have veg or non veg curries with Kallappam.
- Best combination is Chicken or Mutton stew,Duck Roast etc..
- Since we are adding cooked rice while grinding,we can avoid the pavukachal method.