Fish curries either South or North Indian cuisines its different with each type of fishes used for making the curry.Also if we are following the same method for the recipe it became bored and nobody likes it.So it happened in our house too and i tried this variety fish curry with coconut milk and freshly ground black pepper.It's so delicious with that pepper aroma and flavor and is best suited with rice.My son loves fish curries and he is constantly asking for fish.How could i ignore that sweet request!!!so here we go
- Fish -1/2 Kg
- Shallots/Pearl onion - 10
- Green chilies - 3
- Whole Black Pepper - 2 Tb sp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Coriander powder - 2 Tsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Tamarind(Kudam Puli) - 3 small
- Thick Coconut milk- 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil - 2 Tb sp
- Onion- 1/4 portion,sliced
- Water - 1 cup
- Salt - as needed
- Crush shallots, chilies,pepper,garlic in a small mixie jar.
- Marinate these crushed mix along with turmeric powder and salt to the cleaned and cut fish pieces.Keep this for 15 min in refrigerator.
- Add coconut oil to a heated pan and add mustard when it splutters add chopped shallots or 1/4 portion of an onion.Cook it until it turns slight brown.Reduce the flame and add coriander powder.Fry it until it becomes black in colour.
- Add marinated fish pieces with 1 cup water and cook this in low - medium flame for 15- 20 minutes.
- When the fish gets cooked,gravy reduces and add 1/2 cup thick coconut milk,mix it by simply rotating the pan and again cook for 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and keep aside.Keep for 1 hour before serving and you can serve with rice,roti or appam.
- Here i used pomfret(Avoli).You can use any good fish with enough flesh like King fish or salmon.Also you can remove the skin,if you don't like it.
- Soak tamarind in luke warm water before adding to the fish.
- Adjust salt and g chilies accordingly.
- I didn't add ginger in this recipe,If you like,you can simply add 1 small portion of crushed ginger.