Egg stew recipe# Kerala Break fast recipe
Egg stew or Istuuu
Recipe type : Side dish,Break fast
Prep Time :15 min
Cook Time :25 min
Serves - 5-6
- Boiled Eggs - 6 nos(cut into half)
- Potato - 2 nos(cut into cubes)
- Carrot - 3 nos(cut into cubes)
- Onion - 1 big,sliced finely
- Ginger - 1 Tb sp finely chopped
- Garlic - 1 Tb sp finely chopped
- Green chillies - 5 nos,slited
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp(optional)
- Whole black pepper - 15 nos
- Cinnamon stick - 4 nos
- Cardamom - 8 nos.
- Clove - 10 nos
- flour/maida/corn starch paste - 2 Tb sp(optional)
- Thick Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
- Medium thick coconut milk - 1 cup
- Cashew paste - 2 Tb sp(optional)
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Coconut oil - 3 Tb sp
- Salt - to taste
- Add oil to a heated deep pan and fry/splutter whole spices after crushing it in mortar n pestle.
- Add sliced onion with lit salt.Saute until it becomes soft.(no need to brown it).
- Add,chopped ginger,garlic, green chilies and curry leaves.
- Mean while,boil eggs in water for 15 - 20 minutes
- When everything combines oil becomes clear.Add lit turmeric powder(purely optional),and add 1 cup 3rd coconut milk.When it boils,add cubed potatoes.Add lit salt.Cover and cook for 10 minutes in high flame.
- When potato is half cooked add 2nd coconut milk and add cubed carrots.Reduce the flame to medium and cook for another 10 minutes or until veggies gets fully cooked.
- Finally reduce the flame to low and add thick coconut milk(mix cashew paste with this thick milk for more thick gravy or else add corn flour or maida paste.Cook for 2 minutes and don't allow to boil this thick milk.
- Add sliced boiled egg into the gravy.
- Garnish with fried shallots,cashews and curry leaves.(optional for more flavor).
- Serve hot with Idiappam or Palappam or fresh bread.
- Soak 5- 7 cashews in warm water 15 min and grind it with 1 Tb sp water to form a paste.This gives more tasty and creamy Egg stew.
- Instead of cashews you can also add corn flour/maida paste.
How to prepare coconut milk from fresh or frozen grated coconut
- Thick coconut milk[1st milk]Take 2cups ( 1 cup at a time) grated coconut in a small mixie jar and grind it and squeeze its milk using a strainer and spoon.Repeat this for 2nd cup as well.
- Medium thick Coconut milk(2nd milk)Add 1/2 cup water to the coconut paste strained in above step and grind it.Squeeze and strain this coconut paste.
- Thin coconut milk[3rd milk].Add 1/2 cup water to the coconut paste strained in above step and grind it.Squeeze and strain this.
- If you are using frozen coconut keep it aside for 10 min before grinding.
- You can also use coconut powder or tin coconut milk and prepare the consistency accordingly as thick,medium and thin.
Enjoy your delicious break fast..
Remember the Quote:If breakfast is good the whole day will be good..
have a wonderful day