Idli is the South Indian break fast dish made by using fermented ground rice and urad dal batter in a steamer.As it doesn't use any oil for making Idly its so healthy for adults and babies as well.Idli is the best morning food for toddlers and babies after 7-8 months onwards.
Actually me and my husband doesn't like Idli but our lit sunshine likes it..So i'm making Idli for break fast(not for all days) once in two weeks.Usually i prepared batter for Dosa and Idli.First day i will make Idli and 2 days later i will prepare Dosa.Morning we can prepare Idli and if we have balance,even after everyone at home had done with break fast,you can try this easy Idli make over.Since no body (most of the people) even kids don't like the same morning food as snack with tea.So try this for next time when you make Idli.Its also very healthy without adding oil(frying Idli ).I don't want to fry Idlies.So i made a onion - tomato masala and add all Idli cubes(Idli cut into small pieces).For making this you need soft Idlies...If you are always making Cricket ball like idlies(very hard)don't worry i have a solution,TRICK for making soft Idli...The SUPER thing is Poha in Malayalam its called Aval.Its flattened rice flakes..Its available in almost all house as we are making lots of Aval dishes.
Just add 1/4 cup Aval (POHA) into rice and grind it along with batter.But before that you need to soak the POHA in water for 10 minutes.
One more thing is cooked rice,grind cooked ricealong with raw rice.
Addition of these two ingredients give you a good Dosa/Idli batter
- Idli - 4- 8 nos.
- Onion - 1/4 portion of 1 medium onion
- Tomato puree - 1 or just add 2 Tb sp Tomato Ketch up or sauce
- Mustad - 1 pinch
- Oil - 1 Tb sp
- Green onion - 1
- Garam masala - 1 pinch
- Salt - to taste(optional)
- To a hot pan, add oil and splutter mustard,saute chopped onion.
- When onion gets translucent add tomato puree or sauce.
- When it blends add a pinch of garam masala and saute it.
- Then add Idli(cubed)pieces and saute gently and coat it nicely with tomato onion masala.
- Sprinkle few water drops,add lit salt ,cover and gently cook in low flame for 1 minute.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion.
- Serve with tea or coffee and ketch up or your fav chutney if needed