Chicken ishtu#Chicken stew recipe #Christmas/Easter/Christian special recipes
Chicken stew or Istuuu
Christmas or Easter morning break fast is incomplete without Chicken stew or in some places its called Chicken Ishtuuu..Its an old tradition in all Christian families as a part of breaking those 25 days lent(fasting) having Palappam and Chicken/Mutton stewww after coming from church.So here i'm telling you the recipe of Chicken stew in Kerala style.
Recipe type : Side dish,Break fast
Prep Time :15 min
Cook Time :30 min
Serves - 5-6
- Chicken with bones cut into small pieces - 1 Kg
- Potato - 2 nos(cut into cubes)
- Carrot - 3 nos(cut into cubes)
- Onion - 1 big,sliced finely
- Ginger - 1 Tb sp finely chopped
- Garlic - 1 Tb sp finely chopped
- Green chillies - 5 nos,slited
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp(optional)
- Whole black pepper - 15 nos
- Cinnamon stick - 4 nos
- Cardamom - 8 nos.
- Clove - 10 nos
- flour/maida/corn starch paste - 2 Tb sp(optional)
- Thick Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
- Medium thick coconut milk - 1 cup
- Cashew paste - 2 Tb sp(optional)
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Coconut oil - 3 Tb sp
- Salt - to taste
- Add oil to a heated deep pan and fry/splutter whole spices after crushing it in mortar n pestle.
- Add sliced onion with lit salt.Saute until it becomes soft.(no need to brown it).
- Add,chopped ginger,garlic, green chilies and curry leaves.
- Then add Chicken pieces,mix well with dry ingredients.Cover and cook for 10 minutes in medium flame.
- When everything combines oil becomes clear.Add lit turmeric powder(purely optional),and add 1 cup 3rd coconut milk.When it boils,add cubed potatoes.Add lit salt.Cover and cook for 10 minutes in high flame.
- When potato is half cooked add 2nd coconut milk and add cubed carrots.Reduce the flame to medium and cook for another 10 minutes or until veggies gets fully cooked.
- Finally reduce the flame to low and add thick coconut milk(mix cashew paste with this thick milk for more thick gravy or else add corn flour or maida paste.Cook for 2 minutes and don't allow to boil this thick milk.
- Garnish with fried shallots,cashews and curry leaves.(optional for more flavor).
- Serve hot with Idiappam or Palappam or fresh bread.
- Soak 5- 7 cashews in warm water 15 min and grind it with 1 Tb sp water to form a paste.This gives more tasty and creamy Chicken stew.
- Instead of cashews you can also add corn flour/maida paste.
How to prepare coconut milk from fresh or frozen grated coconut
- Thick coconut milk[1st milk]Take 2cups ( 1 cup at a time) grated coconut in a small mixie jar and grind it and squeeze its milk using a strainer and spoon.Repeat this for 2nd cup as well.
- Medium thick Coconut milk(2nd milk)Add 1/2 cup water to the coconut paste strained in above step and grind it.Squeeze and strain this coconut paste.
- Thin coconut milk[3rd milk].Add 1/2 cup water to the coconut paste strained in above step and grind it.Squeeze and strain this.
- If you are using frozen coconut keep it aside for 10 min before grinding.
- You can also use coconut powder or tin coconut milk and prepare the consistency accordingly as thick,medium and thin.
Enjoy your delicious break fast..
Remember the Quote:If breakfast is good the whole day will be good..
have a wonderful day
Happy New Year buddies