Prawns pickle# Kerala Chemmeen Achar recipe
Prawns pickle is my favorite and my hostel companion all the time.Here is my mom's recipe
- Prawns - 1/2 Kg (small- medium sized)
- Chilli powder - 1 Tb sp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Fenugreek powder - 1 pinch
- Mustard - 1/2 Tsp
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch
- Lime Juice - of 1 small lemon
- Shallots(pearl onion) - 5-6 nos
- Ginger - 1 small piece
- Garlic - 1 medium
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 Tb sp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Dry red chillies(crushed) - 1 Tsp
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Fish Masala - 1 Tb sp(for marination)
- Clean prawns and marinate it with fish masala and salt.Keep this for 10 min.
- Deep fry this marinated prawns and keep aside in tissue paper.
- To a hot pan,add oil, then add mustard,chopped ginger n garlic,crushed dry red chilli and curry leaves and finely chopped shallots.Saute it.
- Reduce the flame and add chilli powder,turmeric powder,Asafoetida,Fenugreek powder.Mix it nicely and keep aside.
- Then add juice of 1 lemon.When it gets boiled add fried prawns with 1/4 cup water and stir nicely.
- Cook this gravy for 5 minutes un covered.By that time the excess water evaporates.
- Switch off the flame and keep it aside.
- After cooling,transfer this to an air tight jar.
- Serve with rice,parathas and even simply as such.
- If you are using large shrimp,cut it into small pieces.
- Always use clean and dry sppon.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Lemon juice and shallots give extra taste to this pickle.
- Add 2 Tb sp nallenna/gingely oil as a top layer of the bottle.
Recipe source - my mom
Preparation time - 20 minutes