Tips for working moms to make the palappam or Idli batter
- Soak the rice in the morning itself and grind it at evening or night and keep this for fermentation.
- Prolonged soaking time helps to get a good consistency batter within no time.
1.Rice(Ponni rice or any white rice)/Rice powder - 3 cups
2.Grated Coconut - 1 cup
3.Cooked Rice - 1 cup
4.Sugar - 2 Tb sp
5.Baker's Yeast - 1/2 Tsp
1.Soak 3 cups of rice in water for 3-5 hours.Grind rice,coconut and cooked rice in small quantities in a grinder or mixxie.
2.Grind the ingredients 1,2,3 and keep the batter in a large bowl(plastic/steel).
3.Add sugar and dissolved yeast solution in luke warm water to the grinded batter or simply you can grind the yeast along with coconut.
4.Keep the batter in room temperature overnight or 8- 10 hours.
5.Fermented batter can be used for preparing palappam in palappam pan/chatti.
- Add salt to taste to the fermented batter before starting the preparation.
- Take 1 large spoon of fermented batter and pour it into the hot palappam pan and turn the pan clock wise in order to form round palappams and keep some batter in the center.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for few minutes.Good palappams are soft with lots of holes and crispy light brown colour at the egdes.
1.Either you can add yeast solution to the batter or grind 1/4 Tsp of yeast along with coconut or cooked rice and mixed with batter.
2.Yeast solution :Take a little luke warm water in a bowl and add the yeast with little sugar.Keep this for 20 minutes and add directly to the rice batter and mix.
3.Addition of sugar makes the light brown colour at the edges.
4.Since we adding cooked rice for grinding,no need of pavu kachal( i don't know the English term for that.
5.Grind and prepare the batter in the evening and ferment it over night for next days break fast.
6.Keep the batter in oven and make it warm in in cold places.
Another method for making palappam
Pavu kachal method
- Take 1/2 cup of rice powder in a pan with lit water and keep it in a low flame and stir continuously until the rice powder dissolves completely.Switch off the flame and remove from flame.Allow this to cool and add remaining rice powder and mix with water.
- In the above method you can avoid cooked rice and add coconut milk instead of grinded coconut.
- Don't make the batter too watery.Add appropriately water and coconut milk.
- Addition of yeast is same in both methods.
- You can have veg or non veg curries with palappam.
- Best combination is Chicken or Mutton stew,Duck Roast etc..
- Since we are adding cooked rice while grinding,we can avoid the pavukachal method.