Pork Olathiyathe recipe
Pork recipies are very common in Kottayam , Pala area. Pork ularthiyathe, pork vinthaloo etc are the most popular pork recipies among Kottayam Christians. Good Pork dish n Tapiocca(Kappayum Panni erachiyum)is made for each other.I know all are waiting for the delicious recipe of Pork. So here comes the recipe of Kottayam style Pork Olathiyathe. Special thanks to my sweet hubby for this delicious pork preparation.
- 1Kg cleaned pork
- ¾ dsp Chilli powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 dsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Pepper powder
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Aniseed
- 2 Cinnamon
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Cardamom pods
- 8 Garlic
- 2 tsp Ginger sliced
- Curry leaves- 2 leaflets
- ½ cup Coconut (thenga kothu)
- 1 dsp Vinegar
- Salt- to taste
- water-1 cup
- For Seasoning
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 cup button(small) onions
- Wash and clean the pork. Cut into medium size pieces and keep in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat all these ingredients in a pan- ¾ dsp Chilli powder,1 dsp Coriander,1/2 tsp turmeric,1/2 tsp pepper powder,1/2 tsp cumin,1 tsp aniseed,2 cinnamon,3 cloves,2 cardamom pod. Don’t burn it. Allow to cool the masala and grind it to make a paste
- Marinate the cleaned meat with the freshly prepared masala paste and keep it for half an hour.
- Transfer the marinated meat to a pressure cooker and add adequate amount of water(depends upon the quantity of cooker and meat).
- I used a 3L cooker for cooking. Switch on the flame and wait for 3 whistles.
- Switch off the flame and allow to stand for reducing the pressure.
- Take another pan, when it is hot add ¼ cup oil(or you can add the fat layer formed on the top layer of cooked meat)So you can avoid extra oil.
- When the oil gets hot add 1 cup of small button onions ,saute and make it transluscent.Tip: You can sprinkle salt to the onion for making onion brown a little faster.
- Add Ginger and Garlic slices and roast it with onion.
- Reduce the flame and add 1 tsp Garam masala powder(Grinded at home or available in packets),1 dsp Meat masala powder.Mix all the masalas with onion.
- Add Coconut pieces(1/2 cup-Thenga kothu) and roast it.
- When everything combines to form dry masala, add cooked pork with 3/4cup of gravy from the pressure cooker.
- Mix thoroughly with all masalas,add 1dsp vinegar and make it dry in reduced flame
- When the pork is well coated with all masalas and little gravy, remove from fire and transfer it to a serving bowl
- You can serve this pork Olarthiyathe with Rice or Kappa.
Mrs. K.M Mathew
Glad to see you here,
Please try this recipe and leave your valuable comments
Stay tuned till then,
Happy Cooking n Happy Weekend